CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 26, 2011

Holiday 8

After being through so many sleepless nights, I've again started to get used to going to bed late. This will definitely take its toll on my health but for the time being I'm making good use of my late night movie session. Haha

Here's a recent update on the more interesting happenings in my daily life. As dull as it can be, the rather more attractive part would be food, isn't? Lol

Today's breakfast. Self-made scrambled egg + luncheon meat croissant

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. Our family for one, is not the kind that paid much attention on celebrations and wishes. But being as plain already, I decided one good meal would at least spice things up a little. Won't it? Hehe.

Mum was away for some dinner gathering, sigh, so the both of us went for a nice decent dinner at Xian Ding Wei (鮮定味). It is located beside Sakae Sushi in Queensbay Mall. I like and cozy ambience and specially the comfy chair. Hehe.


Mixed Fruit Tea. The tea had a hint of tangy, fruity flavour. Refreshing!

Dad's order of Taiwan-style Sweet and Sour Pork. It came with 3 side dishes (caramelised yam strips, deep-fried fritter and kimchi), a soup-of-the-day (radish soup) and a bowl of rice (braised pork rice)

I opted for their Taiwanese Supreme Chicken in 3 variety sauce. The chicken was served hot. I like the gravy which tasted a combination of savoury and sweet. Hehe

We both enjoyed the meal and I will be sure to come back for more. Hereby I wish my lovely and ever caring daddy, Happy Birthday! May he be of best health always so that I can have the chance to look after and provide him a comfortable life, hopefully in the near future.

Xian Ding Wei Taiwanese Tea Room
2F 50-51 Queensbay Mall
100, Persiaran Bayan Indah,
11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang.
Tel: +604-6461332

**********
This Tuesday, out of random, my parents decided to go for Bak Kut Teh. We went to the not-so-newly-opened Yi Xiang Bak Kut Teh (益香绑线肉骨茶) at Macalister Road. I've saw this outlet before at Auto-City and read reviews from other bloggers about this place. Finally I am here myself.

The restaurant is clean with the wall nicely decorated with big pictured menu, the chairs and tables arranged neatly. Nothing like the traditional, rather messy bak kut teh stalls or shops we usually frequent. The biggest difference about this place is the way they serve the Bak Kut Teh.

The different parts of the meat was placed in separate mini bowl-pot on top of a burning flame to keep every dish warm. However this dried up the soup rather too quickly.

From the many parts selectable in the menu, below were our choices.

Mini meatballs

Ruan Gu. I like this part the most as they were very tender

Pai Gu. There were four big chucks in a bowl. These very tender as well. I bet they cooked them for a long time.

You Cai drizzled with oyster sauce and fried shallots

Overall Yi Xiang serves nice Bak Kut Teh. However, I would prefer it if they were to add another extra bowl of soup so that we don't have to scoop the soup out from the already filled-to-the-brim bowl of meat. Anyway, its better not to drink much of the soup as it was quite heavy laden with MSG, resulted in me very thirsty after that meal.

Yi Xiang Bak Kut Teh
88, Jalan Macalister,
10040 Georgetown, Penang.
Business Hours: Opens daily from 10am-3pm; 6pm-11pm. Closed every fortnight Tuesdays

**********
The following is dedicated to The Duck. I deeply miss the noodles she cooked me for breakfast during my visit to London. So this was what I cooked for lunch yesterday.

My 'geh liao' version of Ibumie Penang Har Mee

Holiday is nearing its end! Argh... Now I am not ready to let it go...

0 comments: